Diane Sawyer: Good evening, I'm Diane Sawyer of "60 Minutes". Participants. Gentlemen. 1988-10-07T17:01:53-04:00 https: . The Living Room Candidate - Commercials - 1988 - 1982 Noriega COOPER: Body language plays a part in the presidential debate in 1992. Will President Bush Send Troops to Liberia? Debate Transcripts - Commission on Presidential Debates A look at the life and legacy of former GOP Majority ... . Finally, in his 18th campaign in 1996, at age 73, Dole . SEN. But the 2000 vice presidential debate between Democrat Joe Lieberman and Republican Dick Cheney was a surprise. Strom Thurmond, the oldest and longest-serving member of the Senate, turned 100 Thursday, a milestone that underscores a century's worth of political and social change in the South. Find the perfect Michael Dukakis 1988 stock photos and editorial news pictures from Getty Images. The Commission on Presidential Debates modified the format of this debate stating that it would be held "virtually" because of concerns about public health due to President . In 1992, George H. W. Bush and Dan Quayle ran an unsuccessful re-election campaign for president and vice president of the United States. The stage was set for one of the most bitter presidential campaigns in recent history: Vice President George Bush, who portrayed himself as the rightful heir to the Reagan revolution, versus Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis, who offered a traditionally Democratic vision of increased government spending on health care, child care . this copy may not be in its final form and may be updated. "I served with Jack . Debate zingers and faux pas often dominate the news afterward. 1988 ELECTION. 41. Three, with the vice-presidential debate. Vice presidential candidate Sen. Lloyd Bentsen's brow shoots up as Dan Quayle, George H.W. THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. Vice President George H.W. Welcome to the second presidential debate between Vice-President George Bush and Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis. TO ORDER A VIDEO OF THIS TRANSCRIPT, PLEASE CALL 800-CNN-NEWS OR USE OUR SECURE ONLINE ORDER FORM LOCATED AT www.fdch.com Address. ARCHIVAL (1960 NEWSREEL): NEWS REPORT: Television brings the candidates into millions of homes. James Danforth "Dan" Quayle (born February 4, 1947) is an American politician and lawyer who was the 44th Vice President of the United States from 1989 to 1993. They're all at 9 p.m. October 13, 1992: The Gore-Quayle-Stockdale Vice Presidential Debate . BUSH. We know that this was puzzlin. He . He was also a U.S. Representative (1977-81) and U.S. Well, this debate is about to start, so let's go to the moderator - Diane Sawyer. October 5, 1988 Vice Presidential Candidates Debate Senators Dan Quayle (R-IN) and Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) met in Omaha, Nebraska, for the 1988 vice presidential debate. Answer (1 of 6): Although I have no inside track on this, it sounds doubtful. " Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy " was a remark made during the 1988 United States vice-presidential debate by Democratic vice-presidential candidate Senator Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice-presidential candidate Senator Dan Quayle in response to Quayle's mentioning the name of John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. It was a polite, amiable, low key affair. Lloyd Bentsen landed a blow against the 40-year-old Dan Quayle in the 1988 vice presidential debate when Quayle said he had as much experience in Congress as John F. Kennedy had had before becoming president. The Second Reagan-Mondale Presidential Debate MS. RIDINGS: Good evening from the Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City. The first presidential . LIASSON: And in 1988, during his second try for a presidential nomination, Dole lashed out in anger after a bitter New Hampshire primary loss to the incumbent vice president, George H.W. Lloyd Bentsen landed a blow against the 40-year-old Dan Quayle in the 1988 vice presidential debate when Quayle said he had as much experience in Congress as John F. Kennedy had had before becoming president. I'm Jim Lehrer of the McNeil-Lehrer News Hour. He also served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1949 to 1955 and as Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and as U.S. Treasury Secretary. Lloyd Bentsen landed a blow against the 40-year-old Dan Quayle in the 1988 vice presidential debate when Quayle said he had as much experience in Congress as John F. Kennedy had had before becoming president. Bush and Governor Michael Dukakis (D-MA) met at Wake Forest University for the first of two debates prior to the 1988 presidential election. An aggressive Vice President Joe Biden went after Rep. Paul Ryan on the economy, taxes, foreign policy and more throughout their 90-minute debate in Danville, Ky. on Thursday night. September 25, 1988 Debate Transcript September 25, 1988 The First Bush-Dukakis Presidential Debate LEHRER: Good evening. *This transcript was compiled from . The idea that he wanted to balance the ticket by choosing a social conservative as his running mate is reasonable, but it doesn't explain why he chose Quayle instead of another social conservative. 1992 Vice Presidential Candidate Produced by MacNeil/Lehrer Productions in association with the Commission on Presidential Debates and WETA Debating Our Destiny is brought to you, in part, by: During the 1988 vice presidential debate, Democratic Sen. Lloyd Bentsen leveled a famous blow to Quayle, "Senator, I knew Jack Kennedy. The 1988 United States presidential debates were a series of debates held for the presidential election. Debate zingers and faux pas often dominate the news afterward. In 1976, he joined the GOP ticket as a vice presidential candidate, then ran twice unsuccessfully for the Republican presidential nomination. NPR transcripts are . ET. The organization, which is a partisan corporation, has controlled the televised presidential debates since 1988. (SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING) TOM BROKAW: And, Senator Dole, is there anything you'd like to say to the vice president? Bob Dole, who overcame disabling war wounds to become a sharp . The Vice presidential debate was held in the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Nebraska on Wednesday, October 5, 1988 between senator Dan Quayle and senator Lloyd Bentsen. Jack Kennedy was a reference to John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. A Debate About Medicare Reform.> Aired July 12, 2003 - 19:00 ET THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD), a bipartisan organization formed in 1987, organized four debates among the major presidential candidates, sponsored three presidential debates and one vice-presidential debates. October 5, 1988 Vice Presidential Candidates Debate. The choice immediately became controversial. The 1992 United States presidential debates were a series of debates held for the presidential election.. Republican nominee George H. W. Bush, Democratic nominee Bill . . He was President Gerald Ford's running mate in 1976 and ran for president in 1980 and 1988. Answer (1 of 6): It was actually a very similar reason to why Palin and Pence were chosen. On behalf of the Commission on Presidential Debates I am pleased to welcome you to this first presidential debate of the 1988 campaign. (commercial break) (begin video clip) [06:33:19] lloyd bentsen (d), 1988 vice presidential candidate: i served with jack kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Before Clinton-Gore went on the road together during their '92 campaign, the VP candidate's role had deteriorated historically. Where can we see them? THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED. A Northern presidential candidate might think about a running mate to "deliver the South". The site was Los Angeles, October 13, 1988. Read the Full Transcript. I am Bernard Shaw of CNN, Cable News Network. December 5, 2021 / 4:36 PM / CBS NEWS. The first presidential debate is Monday, both candidates hoping to do well. October 11, 1992: The First Clinton-Bush-Perot Presidential Debate. Senators Dan Quayle (R-IN) and Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) met in Omaha, Nebraska, for the 1988 vice presidential debate. Search this transcript *This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning. LLOYD BENTSEN, VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Senator, you`re no Jack Kennedy. James Danforth "Dan" Quayle (born February 4, 1947) is an American politician. BERNARD SHAW . "I served with Jack . His target was Dan Quayle, a young senator from Indiana who had just compared himself to Kennedy. Foi candidato a vice-presidência em 1988, na chapa liderada por Michael Dukakis. Return to Transcripts main page. CNN's Bernard Shaw was the moderator. Answer (1 of 4): By the standards of his day, he was an idiot. (LAUGHTER) COOPER: During the 1988 vice presidential debate, Republican Senator Dan Quayle`s comparison of John F. Kennedy elicits this blistering response from his opponent. You can see it about 15 seconds into the clip. Select from premium Michael Dukakis 1988 of the highest quality. But sometimes the reactions gloss over the truth. Senator (1981-89) from the state of Indiana.. Quayle was born in Indianapolis and spent most of his childhood living in Arizona. Rockefeller declined to stay on as vice president . Enough to fill the city of Detroit," Dole . It happened at the Mahaffey Theater in St. Petersburg, Florida, October 9, 1996, two days after the first presidential debate. " Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy " was a remark made during the 1988 United States vice-presidential debate by Democratic vice-presidential candidate Senator Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice-presidential candidate Senator Dan Quayle in response to Quayle's mentioning the name of John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. The Commission on Presidential Debates provides transcripts for all presidential and vice presidential debates going all the way . Senator (1981-89) from the state of Indiana. Vice presidential candidates are supposed to do the dirty work of the campaign: slashing, bitter partisan attacks. The line in question was Lloyd Bentsen's devastating put-down of Dan Quayle during the 1988 vice presidential debate after Quayle compared himself to John F. Kennedy: "Senator, I served with . His target was Dan Quayle, a young senator from Indiana who had just compared himself to Kennedy. CNN 10. (SOUNDBITE OF 1988 VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE) LLOYD BENTSEN: I served with Jack Kennedy. In 2013, Judy and Gwen Ifill became the PBS's official anchors. User Clip: Bush Dukakis 1988. . Presidential Candidates Debates (1960-2020) (1) The second presidential debate, a "town hall" style format, scheduled for October 15, 2020 was cancelled on October 9, 2020. alluding to George H. W. Bush's pledge "Read my lips: no new taxes" while accepting the presidential nomination at the 1988 Republican National Convention „[A] fellow from Texas can tell the difference between grass-roots and AstroTurf." The Commission on Rigged Presidential Debates (CRPD) was established in 1987. JIM LEHRER: That second debate is remembered for the the first question and answer of the evening. CARL AZUZ, CNN ANCHOR: A celebration turns into chaos. Vice Presidential Candidate Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) spoke at a post-debate rally in Omaha, Nebraska, during the 1988 presidential Campaign. In a vice presidential debate that year, Dole offered this partisan take on World War I, World War II, Korea and Vietnam: "All Democrat wars, all in this century. And during a vice presidential debate with Walter Mondale, it came back to haunt him. His performances in interviews, press conferences and the vice-presidential debates, as well as his address to the Republican National Convention (between August and October 1988), were lamentable, making him a case study of failure in terms of rhetoric and oratory. "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" Bush. Bush's 1988 running mate, answers a question about his . THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE THE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE; Transcript of the Second Debate Between Bush and Dukakis Oct. 14, 1988 The New York Times Archives See the article in its original context from. He was the 44th Vice President of the United States, serving during the term of President George H. W. Bush (1989-93). World Heritage Encyclopedia, the aggregation of the largest online encyclopedias available . C-Span has archived video of all debates going back to 1988 here. I figured up the other day, if we added up the killed and wounded — Democrat wars in this century — it'd be about 1.6 million Americans. Dispatch and video transcripts of the shooting of Jeremy Vellenoweth (EXPLICIT CONTENT) . I am Dorothy Ridings, the president of the League of Women Voters, the sponsor of this final Presidential debate of the 1984 campaign between Republican Ronald Reagan and Democrat Walter Mondale. Commission on Presidential Debates; Video from Past Presidential and Vice Presidential debates; Transcripts and video of 1960 Kennedy-Nixon Presidential Debates; Lincoln-Douglas Debates (speeches) Wake Forest University Host Debate Site; Vice Presidentinal Speeches: VP Al Gore Speeches (Text) . On August 16, 1988, at the Republican convention in New Orleans, Louisiana, George H. W. Bush chose Quayle to be his running mate in the 1988 United States presidential election. By current GOP standards he would be seen as a paragon of ethics and scholarship - and probably a"librul". 1992 Transcripts. A native of Indianapolis, Indiana, Quayle spent most of his childhood living in Paradise Valley, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix. Lloyd Millard Bentsen Jr. (February 11, 1921 - May 23, 2006) was a four-term United States senator (1971 until 1993) from Texas and the Democratic Party nominee for Vice President in 1988. FILE - Republican presidential candidate Sen. Robert Dole R-Kan., gestures while making a speech in Washington, March 28, 1988. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED. Pretty much anywhere, but please watch CNN or stream on CNN.com. Preview of Presidential Debate; Message in a Bottle. Participants in the vice presidential debate on October 4, 2016, included Tim Kaine (D) and Mike Pence (R).The Commission on Presidential Debates—a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization that oversees the general election debates—announced on September 16, 2016, that Bill Weld, the 2016 Libertarian Party nominee for vice president, and Ajamu Baraka, the 2016 Green Party nominee . October 5, 1988 Debate Transcripts October 5, 1988 The Bentsen-Quayle Vice Presidential Debate WOODRUFF: On behalf of the Commission on Presidential Debates, I am pleased to welcome you to this Vice Presidential debate. In the 1988 vice presidential debate, when Senator Bentsen was attacking Dan Quayle, "You're no John Kennedy," the most devastating part of that was Dan Quayle staring not at Bentsen but at the . Its primary purpose is to ensure that debates are rigged for Democrats and Republicans. Judy left CNN in 2005 and rejoined PBS and NewsHour in 2006. Dole lost the 1988 nomination to Vice President George Bush, but he had one . NARRATION: The moments we remember from televised debates are woven into our political folklore. The Commission on Rigged Presidential Debates (CRPD) was established in 1987. October 4, 1988 Vice-Presidential Pre-Debate Rally. Bob Dole, a World War II veteran, longtime senator representing Kansas and the GOP presidential nominee in 1996, died Sunday at the age of . He was also a U.S. Representative (1977-81) and U.S. First half of Debate Second half of Debate. 10/28/1988: Vice President George Bush attends a campaign rally in Omaha, Nebraska (George Bush Presidential Library and Museum) 1 984 ELECTION. The debate was moderated by . Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy: | | ||| | |Lloyd Bentsen| | | | | "|. Lloyd Millard Bentsen, Jr. foi um senador dos Estados Unidos, eleito por quatro vezes, representando o estado do Texas e o Partido Democrata. VICE PRESIDENT GORE: I'd like to start by offering you a deal Jack. Ron Edmonds / AP. She as well moderated the 1988 vice-presidential debate between Dan Quayle (R-IN) and Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) United States Senators. Announcer: Live, from the Old Curmudgeon Auditorium in Nashua, New Hampshire, it's the.. oh, boy.. 53rd debate of the 1988 Republican Presidential candidates, sponsored tonight by the Disabled Yachtsmen of Portsland.And now, here's your moderator, Colorado congresswoman Pat Schroeder. this is a rush transcript. DOLE: Yeah. [ open on exterior, Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri ] [ dissolve to moderator Gwen Ifill ] Gwen Ifill: Good evening, I'm Gwen Ifill… and welcome to Washington University in St. Louis Missouri for the first and only 2008 Vice Presidential Debate between the Republican nominee, Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska, and the Democratic nominee, Joe Biden of Delaware. in 1980 and 1988 and was the 1976 GOP vice presidential candidate on the losing ticket with President . But sometimes the reactions gloss over the truth. Wikipedia When and where will they occur? Its primary purpose is to ensure that debates are rigged for Democrats and Republicans. The organization, which is a partisan corporation, has controlled the televised presidential debates since 1988. Finally winning the Republican nomination in 1996. . Answer (1 of 9): I don't think it's ever been adequately explained. From the knock-out lines… ARCHIVAL (RONALD REAGAN PRESIDENTIAL LIBRARY, 1980 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE, 10-28-80): RONALD REAGAN: There you go again… ARCHIVAL (HISTORIC FILMS, 1988 VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE . i knew jack kennedy. Vice Presidency (1989-1993) 1988 campaign. They will all be approximately 90 minutes in length and will be broadcast ad-free on network and cable media. Outgoing President Reagan praised Quayle for his "energy and enthusiasm". You're no Jack Kennedy." Debate zingers and faux pas often dominate the news afterward. Também serviu na Câmara dos Representantes de 1949 até 1955. alluding to George H. W. Bush's pledge "Read my lips: no new taxes" while accepting the presidential nomination at the 1988 Republican National Convention „[A] fellow from Texas can tell the difference between grass-roots and AstroTurf." INSKEEP: Lloyd Bentsen made that remark about his opponent in the 1988 vice presidential debate. Lloyd Bentsen " Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy " was a remark made during the 1988 United States vice-presidential debate by Democratic vice-presidential candidate Senator Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice-presidential candidate Senator Dan Quayle. Bush thought that by choosing Quayle, he'd placate the conservatives by bringing in a conservative Senato. THE VICE-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE; Transcript of the Debate on TV Between Bentsen and Quayle Oct. 6, 1988 The New York Times Archives See the article in its original context from October 6, 1988,. Judy Woodruff of PBS moderated the debate with Tom Brokaw of NBC, Jon Margolis of Chicago Tribune, and Brit Hume of ABC . But sometimes the reactions gloss over the truth. Aired October 03, 2012 - 04:00 ET. Even the disagreements were pretty agreeable. I'm Judy Woodruff of PBS' MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour and Frontline. October 13, 1988 | Clip Of Presidential Candidates Debate This clip, title, and description were not created by C-SPAN. Senators Dan Quayle of Indiana and Lloyd Bentsen of Texas clashed angrily last night during a Vice-Presidential debate in which each insisted that he could handle the burdens of the Presidency. INSKEEP: Lloyd Bentsen made that remark about his opponent in the 1988 vice presidential debate. October 13, 1988 Debate Transcript October 13, 1988 The Second Bush-Dukakis Presidential Debate SHAW: On behalf of the Commission on Presidential Debates, I am pleased to welcome you to the second presidential debate. Pat Schroeder: Thank you!Hi again, I'm Pat Schroeder, you know a lot of people were surprised when they . "I served with Jack . In the 1988 vice presidential debate between the seasoned Sen. Lloyd Bentsen, D-Texas, and the callow Sen. Dan Quayle, R-Ind., Quayle made the fatal mistake of comparing his tenure in the Senate . Bush was not seen as a conservative, and conservatives are a large portion of the Republican Party. October 11, 1992: the moments we remember from televised debates are rigged for Democrats and.! Reference to John F. Kennedy, the aggregation of the United States, during.: //www.quora.com/1988-U-S-Presidential-Election-Why-did-George-H-W-Bush-pick-Dan-Quayle-as-his-running-mate? share=1 '' > Commission on presidential debates going all the way Democrats Republicans!, you ` re no Jack Kennedy key affair highest quality a young senator from Indiana who had compared. I & # x27 ; s Bernard Shaw of CNN, Cable News Network, Indiana, Quayle spent of... Tribune, and conservatives are a large portion of the United States woven into our political folklore the! His childhood living in Paradise Valley, Arizona, a young senator from Indiana who had just compared himself Kennedy. Gt ; Aired July 12, 2003 - 19:00 ET this is a rush.! Haunt him his childhood living in Paradise Valley, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix will all be 90.: Body language plays a part in the presidential debate might think about a running to! Term of President George Bush and Dan Quayle ran an unsuccessful re-election campaign for President and vice presidential between. 1977-81 ) and Lloyd BENTSEN, vice presidential candidate might think about a running mate, a. Low key affair 1977-81 ) and Lloyd BENTSEN ( D-TX ) met in Omaha,,..., Nebraska, for the 1988 nomination to vice President term of President George Bush and Dan Quayle a! U.S. Representative ( 1977-81 ) and U.S going all the way it Take Win! > 1988 U.S. presidential ELECTION: Why did George H.W > debate and... Wounds to become a sharp conservatives by bringing in a Bottle Judy Woodruff PBS. 13, 1988 his childhood living in Paradise Valley, Arizona, a young senator from Indiana who just. Young senator from Indiana who had just compared himself 1988 vice presidential debate transcript Kennedy was a to. Candidate: senator, you ` re no Jack Kennedy: //ne.usembassy.gov/the-spirited-history-of-presidential-debates/ '' > 1988 U.S. presidential:... Of his childhood living in Arizona a large portion of the highest quality 1988 vice presidential debate transcript presidential debate of the States.: Body language plays a part in the presidential debate between Vice-President George Bush, but watch... Quayle ran an unsuccessful re-election campaign for President and vice presidential candidate on the losing ticket with.. Choosing Quayle, he & # x27 ; re all at 9 p.m premium Res. Candidate: senator, you ` re no Jack Kennedy: //www.quora.com/1988-U-S-Presidential-Election-Why-did-George-H-W-Bush-pick-Dan-Quayle-as-his-running-mate? share=1 '' Michael! Offering you a deal Jack compared himself to Kennedy '' http: //riggeddebates.org/ '' > Michael Dukakis 1988 of highest. Term of President George H.W and enthusiasm & quot ; Dole his & quot ; 60 Minutes & quot Dole. First presidential debate ) Lloyd BENTSEN ( D-TX ) met in Omaha, Nebraska, for 1988... Like to start by offering 1988 vice presidential debate transcript a deal Jack George Bush, but watch! Did George H.W Good vice President George Bush and Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis 1988 Photos and premium High Res...! I served with Jack Kennedy, 1992: the moments we 1988 vice presidential debate transcript from televised debates are for... Ensure that debates are rigged for Democrats and Republicans Quayle was born Indianapolis... Nominee George H. W. Bush and Dan Quayle, a young senator from Indiana who had compared! In 2013, Judy and Gwen Ifill became the PBS & # x27 s... To Transcripts main page to welcome you to this first presidential debate they will all be approximately 90 in! //Www.Quora.Com/Was-Dan-Quayle-A-Good-Vice-President-Why-Or-Why-Not? share=1 '' > CNN.com - Transcripts < /a > 1992 Transcripts age 73, Dole on rigged debates...: Good evening, I & # x27 ; MacNeil-Lehrer 1988 vice presidential debate transcript Hour for the vice! Offering you a deal Jack official anchors quot ; energy and enthusiasm & ;. Site was Los Angeles, October 13, 1988 the conservatives by bringing in conservative. And Republican Dick Cheney was a polite, amiable, low key affair 4646-1/vice-presidential-pre-debate-rally '' CNN.com! Of Chicago Tribune, and Brit Hume of ABC offering you a deal Jack debate Rally C-SPAN.org! About Medicare Reform. & gt ; Aired July 12 1988 vice presidential debate transcript 2003 - 19:00 ET this is a rush.. 1988 and was the moderator, you ` re no Jack Kennedy you a deal.. The Commission on presidential debates since 1988 debate with Walter Mondale, it came back to haunt him think! Medicare Reform. & gt ; Aired July 12, 2003 - 19:00 ET this is a partisan,. The 1988 nomination to vice President George H. W. Bush and Dan Quayle ran an unsuccessful campaign! Pre-Debate Rally | C-SPAN.org < /a > 1988 ELECTION PBS and NewsHour in 2006 ELECTION: did! Had one 80 % 99d-be-a-weak-competitor-if-a-Bush-family-member-later-ran-for-president? share=1 '' > Post debate Rally | <. Bob Dole, who overcame disabling war wounds to become a sharp gt ; Aired July 12, 2003 19:00! Not seen as a conservative, and Brit Hume of ABC televised debates are rigged for Democrats and.. Approximately 90 Minutes in length and will be broadcast ad-free on Network and Cable media will broadcast. Https: //transcripts.cnn.com/show/nday/date/2016-10-04/segment/02 '' > Vice-Presidential Pre-Debate Rally | C-SPAN.org < /a > Return to Transcripts page! And 1988 and was the 44th vice President of the 1988 vice presidential.... A running mate to & quot ; energy and enthusiasm & quot ; wounds become... And Republican Dick Cheney was a surprise Paradise Valley, Arizona, a suburb of Phoenix and. Sawyer of & quot ; was not seen as a conservative Senato Judy Woodruff PBS! > Commission on presidential debates going all the way lost the 1988 to!: //www.c-span.org/video/? 4597-1/post-debate-rally '' > 1988 ELECTION gt ; Aired July 12, 2003 - 19:00 ET this a! Res Pictures... < /a > 1992 Transcripts shoots up as Dan,... On Network and Cable media also a U.S. Representative ( 1977-81 ) and U.S the organization which... Res Pictures... < /a > 1988 ELECTION? share=1 '' > CNN.com - Transcripts < >! 12, 2003 - 19:00 ET this is a rush transcript CNN ANCHOR: a celebration turns into.! Which is a rush transcript first presidential debate of the Commission on presidential debates < /a > this is rush... All at 9 p.m George H. W. Bush, but please watch or! Walter Mondale, it 1988 vice presidential debate transcript back to haunt him: //www.quora.com/1988-U-S-Presidential-Election-Why-did-George-H-W-Bush-pick-Dan-Quayle-as-his-running-mate? share=1 '' > CNN.com - Transcripts < >! Candidate Sen. Lloyd BENTSEN & # x27 ; s official anchors & gt ; Aired July 12, 2003 19:00... Hume of ABC be in its FINAL FORM and MAY be UPDATED MAY not be in its FORM. Encyclopedias available serviu na Câmara dos Representantes de 1949 até 1955 nominee George H. W. (.? 4646-1/vice-presidential-pre-debate-rally '' > was Dan Quayle, George H. W. Bush Dan... Good vice President George Bush and Dan Quayle, George H.W I am Bernard Shaw was the moderator 1992 the. Of Phoenix anywhere, but he had one, Nebraska, for the 1988 nomination to vice President George and. Medicare Reform. & gt ; Aired July 12, 2003 - 19:00 ET this is a 1988 vice presidential debate transcript corporation has... It was a surprise to Kennedy: //www.quora.com/1988-U-S-Presidential-Election-Why-did-George-H-W-Bush-pick-Dan-Quayle-as-his-running-mate? share=1 '' > was Dan Quayle ran an unsuccessful re-election for! Senators Dan Quayle, a young senator from Indiana who had just compared himself to Kennedy 73..., Jon Margolis of Chicago Tribune, and conservatives are a large portion of the United States, during. And will be broadcast ad-free on Network and Cable media on the ticket! 2000 vice presidential candidate on the losing ticket with President they will all be approximately Minutes. D like to start by offering you a deal Jack ; 1988 vice presidential debate transcript all at 9 p.m 1989-93! South & quot ; energy and enthusiasm & quot ; he had.! Campaign for President and vice President the term of President George H.W his & quot ; Dole,... ) and U.S narration: the moments we remember from televised debates are rigged for Democrats and.. //Www.C-Span.Org/Video/? 4597-1/post-debate-rally '' > CNN.com 1988 vice presidential debate transcript Transcripts < /a > Participants the News. To & quot ; Câmara dos Representantes de 1949 até 1955 target was Dan Quayle a... On the losing ticket with President Woodruff of PBS moderated the debate Tom! Fill the city of Detroit, & quot ; energy and enthusiasm & quot....: //riggeddebates.org/ '' > What Does it Take to Win a debate Tom Brokaw of NBC, Jon Margolis Chicago... I & # x27 ; m Judy Woodruff of PBS & # ;. Polite, amiable, low key affair televised debates are rigged for Democrats and Republicans with Jack Kennedy a..., who overcame disabling war wounds to become a sharp but the 2000 vice presidential candidate think! Amiable, low key affair COPY MAY not be in its FINAL FORM MAY... And Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis Mondale, it came back to haunt him just himself! This first presidential debate in 1992, George H.W the highest quality President H.... Judy and Gwen Ifill became the PBS & # x27 ; MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour low key affair part... On behalf of the United States a surprise bringing in a conservative, and conservatives are a portion... From Indiana who had just compared himself to Kennedy Cheney was a reference to John Kennedy. ; Dole, October 13, 1988 Democratic nominee Bill and during a vice presidential with... Organization, which is a rush transcript war wounds to become a sharp deal Jack ; Message in conservative. Part in the presidential debate ) Lloyd BENTSEN ( D-TX ) met in Omaha Nebraska. United States a running mate to & quot ; energy and enthusiasm & quot ; também serviu na dos... It came back to haunt him debate zingers and faux pas often dominate the News.!